Previous: Experimental facts about friction
- Draw a picture of the situation and a force diagram of all the forces for
each body (a free body diagram).
- In the force diagram for each object, include only the forces acting on
- The force exerted by a rope is called the tension and usually denoted
- The contact force exerted by a surface is called the normal force
and always acts perpendicular to the surface.
- Set up a coordinate system and apply Newton's second law:
Fx = max, Fy = may.
- If necessary, use the kinematic equations of motion to solve for the